Membership Pass lets players earn ApeCoin tokens by playing a mobile game
Animoca Brands is celebrating the release of the Bored Ape Yacht Club ApeCoin token today by converting one of its mobile games to play-to-earn. By purchasing an NFT membership pass for Benji’s Bananas, players can earn a unique coin that they can later swap for ApeCoin.
Benji Bananas is a free-to-play mobile game from Animoca Brands available for download on the App Store and Google Play. It is a popular game that’s racked up over 50 million downloads where players make Benji the monkey and his friends leap from vine to vine through the jungle.
The transition of Benji Bananas to play-to-earn starts with the sale of the first edition of the Benji Bananas Membership Pass, starting at 9 p.m. (EST) on 17 March 2022. The Benji Pass is an NFT that allows owners to earn unique tokens by playing Benji Bananas, which can be swapped for ApeCoin.
What is ApeCoin
ApeCoin (APE) is an ERC-20 governance and utility token used within the ApeCoin DAO ecosystem. All owners of Bored Ape or Mutant Ape NFTs will receive ApeCoin via airdrop on 17 March 2022, and everyone else can get ApeCoin on major exchanges like Coinbase, FTX, Huobi, and more.
First Edition Benji Bananas Membership Pass
- Date and Time: 17 March 2022, 9 p.m. (EST)
- Supply: 5,000 passes
- Cost: 25 ApeCoin tokens per pass
- Max: 5 passes per transaction
How to participate in the sale:
- Install and set up a Metamask wallet if you have not already done so
- Before the sale, make sure you have enough ApeCoins to pay for the Benji Pass plus ETH to pay for gas
- Visit the official website of Benji Bananas at https://www.benjibananas.com
- Connect your Metamask wallet to the Benji Bananas website
- Approve it to use the ApeCoins in your wallet
- The sale page will become available at 9 p.m. (EST) on 17 March 2022
- After entering the sale page, select the number of passes you wish to purchase (limit: 5 passes per transaction)
- Click ‘Buy Pass’ and confirm the transaction in your Metamask wallet
- After the transaction is completed, you will be able to see your NFT using the DappRadar Portfolio Tracker.
After that, you’re set up to earn tokens in Benji Bananas, and players will be able to swap those tokens for ApeCoin shortly. The native token earned by playing Benji Bananas has not officially launched so readers need to be careful — check the Benji Bananas Medium page for official announcements and information.
Mobile embracing crypto?
The premise of playing an easily accessible mobile game to earn tokens that can later be swapped to tradable ApeCoin feels like the start of something. NFT marketplace VeVe employed a similar tactic from launch whereby users of the mobile-friendly marketplace would swap fiat currency for gems to transact in the app. Later, the gems can be swapped back to fiat currency. This method helps them bypass any issues with the Apple Store or Google Play Store regarding cryptocurrencies.
The trend may continue to grow as Animoca Brands also tweeted out a teaser that they would be adopting ApeCoin in a secret game project they have been working on with BAYC. Further announcements came from nWayPlay, who unveiled a teaser image of a game they are currently developing with BAYC that will be adopting the ApeCoin.
The above does not constitute investment advice. The information given here is purely for informational purposes only. Please exercise due diligence and do your research. The writer holds positions in various cryptocurrencies including BTC, ETH, and RADAR.